Well, just like last year, we did it again and forgot our own birthday.
It was June 1, 2007 that the first item was posted on this blog. Now, two years and 280+ posts later, life on the blog is thriving. That’s about 1 blog post every 2 1/2 days for the past 2 years!
I’ve met a number of really great people through this blog — other bloggers as well as readers. It still amazes me when I go somewhere and meet someone who recognizes my name from the blog.
Here are some highlights from the past couple of years. We wrote a several series of articles on:
How to be a Great Product Manager
- Part 1: Don’t just sound smart. Act smart and be smart
- Part 2: Be technical without becoming a technologist
- Part 3: Spidey-sense instincts are good. Hard data is way better
- Part 4: The 4 Cs of Leadership
- Part 5: Be an integrator, translator and communicator
- Part 6: Own the product from conception to completion and beyond
Conducting Win/Loss Analysis
- Win/Loss Anyone?
- No Win/Loss? Blame…
- What the deal with Win/Loss Analysis?
- How NOT to do Win/Loss Anaysis – CRM Reporting
- What to do if you’re not allowed to talk to customers
- Contacting lost accounts
- How to get a lost account to speak to you
Discussing Social Media
Contrasting Product Managers with Product Management
But we didn’t win anything 😦
A simple post on an uninterruptible power supply…
Became an important lesson for APC on the perils of social media
There was a LOT of talk about Agile/Scrum this past year
- Agile/Scrum and Product Management (parts 1, 2, 3, 3a, and 4)
- Agile/Scrum Reality Check
- The Value of Scrum
- Agile/Scrum and Product Roadmaps
- A 5th Element for the Agile Manifesto
- Is Product Management Agile?
We held our first ProductCamp here in Toronto
We (macro)blogged about Twitter
- The Cult of Twitter
- Mars Needs Women; Twitter needs Product Manager
- Twitter: The Napster of Messaging
- Ideas for Twitter’s Revenue Model (pt. 1)
- Ideas for Twitter’s Revenue Model (pt. 2)
We Discussed Organizational Structures
- Should Product Management and Product Marketing be part of the same department?
- Why doesn’t Engineering report to Product Management?
- Product Management by Committee?
- Product Management by Committee? (pt. 2)
And US Politics
- Obama/McCain debate: long on features, short on positioning
- On Election Day
- US Election Wrap up (I promise last post)
We oversaw a few kerfuffles
- iPhone vs. Blackberry: Fight!
- Godin vs. Gladwell: Fight!
- Saeed vs. CrankyPM: Fight!
- Adam Bullied vs. Enthiosys: Don’t Fight
- Can’t we all just get along?
Wrote some Haiku
Parodied some songs
- Gilbert and Sullivan Present: The High-Tech Product Manager
- The Software Product Management Blues
- The 12 days after GA
And had some sympathy for the Devil’s Dictionary
It’s been a good couple of years. Thanks to the ever growing audience to this blog for reading and commenting, and soon guest blogging.
Maybe next year, we’ll remember June 1 as the anniversary. Here’s to another 140 posts for the next 12 months.